Sunday, February 10, 2013

Still haven't seen that movie.


There was a movie poster in my best friend’s basement,
of a white mask with melting empty eyes,
the open, gaping mouth in a permanent
wail. In the dark, the face floated and
the poster around it might as well
have vanished. That image fed
the first nightmare that
I can remember.

Figures
in caliginous
robes drifting up
towards me, from
void, at the bottom
of the basement stairs.
Their flight did not elicit squeak
or screech from the wooden steps.
Their outstretched sleeves contained neither
hands or fingers. And although their pursuit was
sluggish, their empty, distended mouths, confessed
that I horrified them. My existence was just an occult
depravity. I thirsted to scream. But because they could not,

I had to wait,
for when I
woke
up.

No comments: