Thursday, September 1, 2011

House of [Cats

A few weeks after my [wife left, an awful yellow [cat began to come up to my back door in the mornings before I left for work. The door was glass, so I could see it pretty clearly. I never fed it, so I’m not sure why it kept coming back.

I only mention the [cat because on the morning they found my grandfather dead at his house, or rather, when I got the call, the [cat was covered head to feet in a dark red blood. There were patches of visible fur, particularly along its back, which made me wonder if it’s been in a fight.

I’ve always been particularly afraid of things like rabies, or other infectious pathogens that wild animals can gift with a bite, so I didn’t open the door to check on it. It stared at me through the glass that morning. Usually it ignores me, but I’m pretty sure it was watching me. It left around noon. I left around two, feeling pretty spooked. I intended to come back before dark, but I forgot, and so once I realized the sun had set, I booked a room here.

That’s when I found the body, and called you.

I get the impression you think the [cat was involved?

Not really. I don’t know. It’s just weird, isn’t it?

Have you been back home since then?

No. I’m afraid, sir.