Sunday, November 1, 2009

Life Changing

Previously

Laying in bed trying to sleep on my birthday had never been easy for me, but tonight falling asleep seemed like an impossible task.

I was on my back staring at the ceiling for what had seemed like hours, in fact i knew it had been hours. I was extremely tired but was unable to sleep. Rolling onto my side, I grabbed the alarm clock from the nightstand and at the time;

2:59...

3:00.

I set the clock back down and let out a sigh of frustration. I stopped quickly cause I heard a strange, loud laughter and heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. I knew it couldn't be the Harrison's for they had gone to bed hours ago. I was really scared when the heavy footsteps turned the hallway and was heading towards my room!

I quickly but quietly got out of my bed, grabbed an aluminum baseball bat and walked over to my rooms door. Leaning against the door i listened as the footsteps came up to my room and stopped. I tried to stay calm but i couldn't control my breathing or my heart beat. The person knocked on the door three times. I flinched with every knock, they sounded as loud as church bells on a Sunday morning.

"Who's there?" I asked cautiously.

No answer.

I took it upon myself right there to tell myself to grow up and opened the door. In front of me stood as huge silhouette of a figure that almost took up the entire door frame. Through the darkness i could see large bloodshot eyes almost glowing. I had been waiting for some kind of signal that i should swing the bat, and as far as i know those things were a huge signal.

Stepping forward with my right foot and twisting my shoulders I swung the bat, hard enough to hit a home run two times over. The bat was on a straight path towards the figures head, but then to my surprise the bat stopped. It was as if i had hit a brick wall, the vibrations were sent down the bat and into my hands and arms making me almost drop the bat.

The pain in my arms seemed to go away when the figure leaned in towards me and got face to face with me. It shook its head at me with what appeared to be a big smile, the same way a parent would shake his head at their child if they were doing something funny looking but wrong. I felt the bat be yanked out of my numb hands and before i knew it i had slipped back into my room and slammed the door shut.

Leaning on the closed door, i locked it as ideas of how to escape this monster rushed through my mind. But my thoughts were stopped cold as there was a deafening explosion and i was jerked forward by the door. I then realized, as splinters and flames flew past me, that the door had been blown off its hinges!

The force knock me into the wall, and the door into me. As i was crushed against the wall, through the noise of the commotion, i could hear a series of loud snaps from my ribs and sharp pain riveted my body. I fell to the ground, the door landing on top of me as if it were the one trying to kill me.

My entire body went numb and my vision consisted of blobs and flashing stars. For some reason i seemed to notice that there must be a fire somewhere, cause the room was suddenly lit up with a dull orange light. All noise was blended together but i could hear the muffled sound of the heavy footsteps walking towards me.

Two black boots stopped in front of me. The monster knelt, grabbing my hair pulling my head up so that we were face to face. There were black globs of darkness at the edge of my vision and everything was blurry.

The only thing that was crystal clear in the semi-dark room was its face. A face that inspired fear and confusion deep inside of me. In the dull orange light i could see that its skin was a grimy, grey that fit perfectly with its huge golf ball sized, bloodshot eyes. I was transfixed on the bloodshot cat-like eyes which had a slit pupil through the middle of the iris. But the thing that by far stood out from everything else was the huge bright white smile of straight sharp teeth.

Something that sounded like a snicker escaped the monsters mouth and its wicked teeth spread apart as it said, "Now I've got you."

No comments: