Sunday, March 24, 2013

Goodnight, Horselover Fat


An unfortunately one-sided relationship,
Isn’t it?
to read an author’s work.

I was halfway through his book when it happened;
a golden beam shot from between the valley of the pages,
striking my forehead.
Following the path hewn by the beam, I drifted,
into the deepest reaches of his mind;
finding characters who lived in him, were a
part of him. He shared these shards,
With me!
though he didn’t know who I was,
we hadn’t met, not in a police station, or while
brokering a deal for a new identity.
It was as if I’d boarded a bus, and sat down next to him
by chance, and he’d leaned over and started talking
telling me;
that we don’t know what’s real, that our senses
might be lying to us. He said a pink beam, reflected
from an Ichthys necklace, had imparted wisdom
onto him. He said that nothing could exist without
god, and then leaned in to add that he wasn’t sure
he even believed in god.
But it wasn’t on a cacophonous bus; it was in a book.
Written on the page was his heart and his soul, and I needn’t have any
compunctions against looking in.

I wanted to meet this man, to shake his hand and to say thank you. And,
I wanted to chip away a piece of myself, to show something of mine, like he
had shown a piece of himself to me.

So I started my computer;
listened to the hum as wires tsk-
tsked and the disk drive spun;
online, I found his books that I’d read; followed the link
with his name, me being excited enough at this point
to look up any book signing tours to find out when
I could just tell him
if nothing else
that I loved his books. I discovered his name,
which was not Horselover Fat, although he called himself that once.
His name was Philip Kindred Dick, and he was
born in 1928, and he
died in 1982.

No comments: