Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This kind of thing happens all the time...

“So you said they just found him here, at the foot of the Memorial Bridge, half-eaten by sea vermin,” I asked, “This being… Charles Kooper?” I glanced at the body on the slab, whom met my verbal description perfectly.

“Yes, this being Charles Kooper. He jumped over sometime around twelve yesterday. Midday at least,” the coroner said. “Listen, I know you think there’s something more to this, but there isn’t.”

“But what about the guardrail? It was broken," I said. "That could easily mean someone pushed him off. He was connected to several criminals, so it could be a revenge burn."

“The guardrail was broken?” The coroner asked, “How absurd! Of course it was broken,” the coroner said. He walked over to his desk and sat down in front of his computer. “You know that the city has never taken measures to keep that bridge safe. At least not lately.”

“Oh I haven't lived here long, only a few weeks," I explained.

“Oh!” He exclaimed, “So you don’t know then.”

“Don’t know what? About jumpers?"

“This kind of thing happens all the time," the coroner said, a disinterested look in his eye.

No comments: